Friday, June 27, 2008

More positive changes...

I'm in a bad place right now with this diet. I knew Shawn wouldn't change overnight but I expected to see more changes by now. On some of the SCD lists that I belong to, I see people post about how they have a completely different child just after being on the diet for a few days. Of course their kids were worse off then Shawn but I still wanted faster results. So far, he's more willing to try new things (but usually still doesn't like it), he is eating a few more things than he was before we started the diet, he is not constipated anymore, we found out that milk makes him hyper and that cheese makes him whiny and argumentative, we found out he was allergic to peanuts and he hasn't had allergy problems since then. I have thought about cheating on this diet several times this week. I'm craving pizza right now. I haven't had a ton of cravings since starting the diet except bbq sauce. However, I found a sauce that I can use as a substitute. There is a pizza recipe but I can't eat pizza in front of Shawn; that's just too mean. Anyway, I digress. The things that bother me the most about Shawn and was hoping the diet would fix is his eating problems (sensitivities in the mouth), his language (I say language instead of speech because he still mixes up words, leaves words out, says things out of order, etc.), and the whole attention thing. If you've read my previous posts, Shawn focuses on what ever he's doing and is not aware of the things going on around him. If I tried to talk to him while he was playing with his cars or watching t.v., he wouldn't hear me unless I walked right in front of him or tapped him on the shoulder. Well today, Shawn was playing on his computer in his room while I was getting breakfast ready. I yelled his name and said that breakfast was ready. The shocker is that he actually responded "ok" and then he came out and said he paused his game. Now that may not sound like much to some people but he has never responded on the first call, lol. Don was there when it happened and we both looked at each other in disbelief. So I guess the diet is working but it's taking soooooo long and I'm an impatient person!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.