Thursday, May 8, 2008

So it's been a few days since I posted so I wanted to update. We tossed the first batch of yogurt and started over. This time it turned out perfect. It is verrrry tart! It is definitely something you use in recipes instead of eating alone. I made a smoothie using strawberries, orange juice, some yogurt, honey, and some ice and it was pretty tasty. I added a banana the second time and it was even better. I talked Shawn into drinking some (about 2 oz). I told him he could either drink the smoothie or eat the rest of his meat and he chose the smoothie. Yesterday morning as he was eating breakfast, he complained that his stomach hurt and then said he needed to poop. He did not have diarrhea but wow, the amount of poop that came out of him was impressive. But then he had to poop again about 15 minutes later and had pretty much the same amount! I guess it was the probiotics at work. Yesterday he came home with yellow and a note from his teacher saying that he had difficulty paying attention and getting his work done. Hmmm, I'm not sure what he reacted to. It could be the probiotics in the yogurt causing die-off or it could be the goat milk. Goat milk is supposed to be more tolerable than cow's milk but it still contains casein. So I decided to use a trick suggested by someone on one of the boards I've been reading. I dripped the homemade yogurt which is supposed to get rid of the whey (which contains the casein). You end up with a cream cheese sort of mixture. I folded some honey into it and it doesn't taste bad but I didn't drip that much because I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out. I'm dripping more as I'm typing this. I think it would be easier to get Shawn to take a teaspoon full than drinking a smoothie.

No comments: