Saturday, May 3, 2008

So much for stages...

Don and I talked and decided to give up on the stages. We are just going to eat off the legal list and not worry about whether it is an advanced food or not. We are all just sick of the same foods and I can't keep up with all the cooking not to mention the cost of meat, produce, coconut oil, almonds (for almond flour and almond butter), and eggs. Everyone is a bottomless pit right now. I think because the food we were eating is supposed to be easy to digest so an hour later we were getting hungry again. I suppose after being on the diet for a while and getting used to the cooking and the food we're eating, we may try the stages again but we'll move a little more quickly through them next time.

This morning I made pancakes out of nut flour and they were really good! Much better than the almond flour pancakes I made before we started the diet. We also made some nut butter brownies that turned out really good. It was nice to be able to give the kids a treat. I'm going to make a huge batch of the almond flour pancakes tomorrow so I can freeze some. I just checked my yogurt and found that the inside lid popped off and the yogurt looked too runny. I'm going to let it ferment a bit longer and see if it thickens up. I can't wait to taste it, it kind of smelled like cream cheese but I doubt it will taste like cream cheese, lol.

The two recipes that got 2 thumbs up:
Nut Butter Brownies:

1 cup nut butter (we used almond butter)
1/2 cup honey
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 egg

Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. It doesn't look like much when you spread it in a pan but it rises so no worries. We used an 11 X 7 " pan.

Almond flour pancakes:

1 1/4 cups of almond flour
4 medium eggs
4 tablespoons of honey
2 tablespoons of vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon butter

Mix all ingredients together in a blender for a light, fluffy texture. Pour onto a buttered electric griddle (preferable) at 275 degrees or a buttered pan. Cook slowly until golden brown; a bit longer than for regular flour pancakes.

1 comment:

Working Mama said...

Well I feel your pain, Karen. It is hard being a slave to the kitchen...even being someone who likes to cook...I am tied to that kitchen all day. It stinks in some way & I have to just remind myself it is for the best. The phases must have been hard - I hope just jumping into it all the way helps!