Thursday, July 31, 2008

Start over?

This diet is very confusing. After reading Gut and Psychology Syndrome by Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride, I was even more confused on how to actually start the diet so I turned to PecanBread and used their "stages". I have since learned that there is a GAPS intro. I've been toying with the idea of going back and redoing the intro. What's stopping me? The kids! It's hard enough trying to come up with food that replaces what the typical American kid eats. If I redo the intro with them, there will be no more almond flour pancakes, no more brownies, no more cookies, no more uncured beef hot dogs (at least for a while). I'm just having a hard time thinking about taking it all a way.

I've come to the conclusion that I will redo the intro myself. I don't feel like I've progressed in the diet like I should. Sure, I know that I've detoxed some (black specks) but I've introduced foods to close together. Sometimes, I introduced more than one food at a time. I'm paying for it now. I have an unhappy tummy! I've been bloated with gas pains for the last few days and I'm not sure what is causing it. I have my suspicions but I can't really say for sure. When I stopped taking the EFA and CLO, I started to feel much better but it only lasted about a week. My suspicion is butter. I always had trouble with dairy before starting the diet so it would seem likely that's the culprit. Butter is supposed to be one of the firsts things to reintroduce too. I guess that means I need more healing so I'm definitely going to do the intro. I'll need a week or so to get prepared. Wish me luck!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen,
I just stumbled upon your blog because I'm reading a lot about the Gaps diet and trying to figure out if I should do it. Can you tell me more about these "black specks" that you mentioned? Is this in your stool? If so, I've had that too and wondered what it meant.

Janis

Karen said...

Yes, they are in the stool. It resembles black sand. I couldn't see them in the stool but saw them on the TP after wiping. Same with my son-I couldn't see them in his stool but definitely on his bottom when I was wiping him.

Cass said...

Are the specks a sign of detox? What are they? Do you know?

Karen said...

Janis, from everything I've read on the lists I belong to, it indicates die-off. There have been numerous reports from people of having the black specks in the beginning of the diet. My son had them about 2 weeks in I think but I didn't really see them until I started taking BioKult. Now I see them all most every time I have a bowel movement.