Monday, April 21, 2008

The good and the bad of day 2...

The good news is that Joshua ate some food today. Although, he didn't eat nearly as much as I would have liked him to eat. He ate a scrambled egg for breakfast along with some blueberries. Then he ate quite a bit of some chicken and carrots for lunch and of course had some blueberries. It was a little difficult after he woke up from his nap because he was whining for some milk and was getting upset that I wouldn't give him any but we compromised and I gave him some drinkable yogurt in between bites of leftover roast from last night and carrots. He wouldn't eat much at dinner though, just a few bites of chicken and about 3 baby carrots. He did share some banana with Don a little after dinner. As we were eating dinner, I've thought about how I really need to figure out a way to get more fat in our diet. I know olive oil and coconut oil is recommended, I've just have to make sure I add it to our food before we eat it. I can't wait until the juicer gets here. It's supposed to be delivered on Wednesday, yay! Then I can make sure we get a variety of fruit and veggies in an easily digestible form.

The bad news is that Shawn had a rougher day today than yesterday. He had a hard time eating his egg this morning and ran out of time and didn't get to finish it. I then brought his lunch to school and he had a tough time chewing the chicken. The chicken was cooked in the Crockpot so it was very soft so I'm not sure what the problem is. It takes him 10 minutes to eat one small bite of chicken and they only get like 20 or 25 minutes to eat. I was trying to rush him but it wasn't really working that well. I got him to eat about 2 baby carrots and 2 small bites of chicken before I felt like he was going to run out of time and I didn't want him to be hungry so I had him eat a banana and then we were working on the homemade applesauce when they had to clean up and get in line to go back to class. I tried to get Shawn to eat one more bite of chicken (it was a big "kid sized" bite) and he started gagging so I hurried him to the trash can so he could spit it out and then he proceeded to throw up. Lovely! Of course the lunch lady comes over and asks if he's ok. I felt bad for him but I was also a little embarrassed that my kid can't handle chewing a piece of chicken. Then Shawn told the teacher's aid that he threw up and I had to explain that he's ok, he just gagged on his food. Dinner pretty much went the same way minus the throwing up. He takes for ever to chew one little piece of meat or chicken. He started his dinner about 5:10pm and didn't finish until about 6:30pm. Of course we have to be right there telling him to chew and swallow or else it would just stay in the side of his cheek all night. He was a trooper today though. He just needs lots of time to eat and a lot of encouragement. But since he did eat the food we gave him, we let him pick out another Speed Racer car after dinner.

I'm already getting bored with the food we are eating. We can add a new food tomorrow and I'm so excited but I can't decide what to introduce. I would like another veggie but then I wouldn't mind introducing pears either. Decisions, decisions.

1 comment:

Scarlett said...

Hang in there! I was thinking about the chewing thing with Shawn - do you think it's the actual chewing, or maybe it's the swallowing? He's a trooper, that's for sure. I'm not sure Hayden would be so easy going if I changed up his diet so drastically. He's so so picky!